Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Unfolding Lives

By guest essayist Désirée Zamorano

There's a Middle Eastern grocery store that I often visit, for its ingredients and excellent produce prices. One afternoon, not too long ago, guilt forced me to shop without my young daughter.

That afternoon I stood lifting my plastic sacks of beans, rice, chiles, fava beans out of the cart and onto the counter while my daughter exhibited her usual irrepressibility, causing the cashier, to smile at her, offer her a candy, and then say in mildly accented English, "She reminds me of my own daughter."

Ah, and what is your daughter up to now, I asked.

"She was going to be a doctor. She was an excellent student. And a happy girl. Up until the day she died. Car accident."

The cashier rang up my purchases, glanced at my daughter, then turned away and began wiping her tears. I stammered something about being so sorry. I didn't bring my daughter shopping with me again. I couldn’t bear the longing in the woman’s look.

Awhile ago we were house hunting in the Pasadena area. We finally settled on a home in Altadena, but occasionally I drove through a charming neighborhood to keep tabs on a home we didn't make an offer on, one that seemed so inviting, so full of the promise of family life, with its two storeys, its gables, a child's nursery in the attic, that it seemed destined for a happy family. As time passed I noticed baby accessories then toddler toys sprouting on the front yard; I caught a glimpse of the parents playing with their children. A sense of pleasure filled me, that of a mother of toddlers watching others like herself.

More time passed and as I drove by I noticed that the father appeared ill.

Now as he pushed a stroller up the tree-lined street he was bald. This home began to hold a morbid fascination for me, and I purposefully drove up that street more frequently. I caught a glimpse of him in a wheelchair, then he disappeared from sight completely.

Oh no, I thought to myself.

A "For Sale" sign appeared. Then that family was gone.

Twenty years ago I took a train from Boston to New Haven, during a time in my life someone I loved fiercely was dying, and my life was spinning into dizzying, sickening, circles. The young lady sitting next to me reluctantly struck up a conversation, but somehow it turned to her plans, once she graduated from Brown in month.

"I am going to California. One day I'll run a major film studio," she announced matter-of-factly. "And I know exactly how I'm going to do it."

In the midst of my own grief, being sideswiped by life seemed more probable, but I was fascinated by someone whose life's plan was so clear to her.

The cashier of my produce store stopped showing up. When I asked about her, another woman said, in a pitiless voice, "She was a teacher in her own country. What was she doing here?"

Through a friend in the neighborhood I found out that that young father did indeed die, and his widow moved back east, to her family.

As I think about them now, I prefer to imagine that the cashier is a teaching assistant somewhere, if not a teacher; that the survivors of that father have found something wonderful, if not to replace him, but to enrich their lives. And that driven young woman? I like to believe that her name flashes on the screen at the beginning of the TV shows I watch, or at the end of the films I see.

So many stories if we merely open our eyes and ears to perceive them. Then fill in the blanks to suit our own needs.

Désirée Zamorano’s story “Mercy” was recently published in the Los Angeles Times’ West Magazine. She is currently at work on her novel, The Amado Women, and is delighted to be a contributor to La Bloga.

7 comments:

Lisa Alvarado said...

In an America starving for story, you reminds us that we need it....like air, like bread, like blood, like love.

People need to tell us their stories, and we need to hear, and write our own chapters, taking up where they left off.

Gracias, hermana, L

Myfanwy Collins said...

Brava, Désirée!

Gina Ruiz said...

This is a beautiful and evocative story, one that made me want to run back home and write about everything I see. I believe that writers do see the world with different eyes, we see stories where others just see that store, that house, that street as nothing special, nothing unusual. We see the dryads in the trees and imagine their dreams. Thank you for your post and muy bienvenida.

Desiree said...

Gracias,
ladies.
:)

dz

Anonymous said...

Being a self professed people watcher and nosy person extraordinaire I really enjoyed this article. I always find myself trying to figure out people's stories.

In fact it reminds me of one of my favorite sayings. Please forgive me, since I don't know where it came from but it goes something like this:

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Great article!

msedano said...

désirée, welcome to la bloga! looking forward to reading your stories, your reviews, your tips on stuff to read. i live in pasadena just south of altadena; if you come walking past my pad, don't look too hard. daang, the typhoid mary of passersby. hey, that's another story waiting to be written!

Manuel Ramos said...

Very nice debut on La Bloga -- you have the writer's spirit. Welcome.