Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Magic Night, Noche Mágica

This is one of my new picture book manuscripts. I hope it would become a picture book in the future.


MAGIC NIGHT, NOCHE MÁGICA
Story Copyright © by René Colato Laínez

Once a year, I have a double delight.
Two nights in a row, I have tons of fun.
First I have a magic night and then I have una noche mágica.

My Mamá and Papá help me carve a big pumpkin.
Triangles, circles, goggled eyes, knives going up and down and around and around.
We light the candle inside and the jack-o’-lantern casts a giant shadow.
Magic night, Halloween, here I come!


When the moon smiles and the stars twinkle, I make holes in a blanket and become a mean ghost.
“Boooo!” I holler and dash to the door. My friends are waiting for me.
Magic night, Halloween, here I come!

We knock at our neighbors’ doors.
“Trick or treat,” I say and smile from ear to ear.
Big, round, colorful, tasty candies fill my bag.
Magic night, Halloween, here I come!

Spooky music starts, children parade, everyone claps.
A little mermaid shakes her tail. A pirate carries a treasure chest.
I moan and move my arms, “Boo!”
Magic night, Halloween, here I come!

In the haunted house, bats fly in the ceiling. Spider’s webs cover the doors. A mummy follows us.
Magic night, Halloween, here I come!

Back at home, we eat our candies and tell scary stories.
“Too bad Halloween is over,” my friends say.
“This is only the beginning. I invite all of you tomorrow to una noche mágica.”
¡Noche mágica, día de los muertos, aquí voy!


My friends help me spread a white tablecloth on our table. We put marigolds in vases and light the candles.
“Uno, dos, tres, cuatro, cinco,” we say.
Then we put my abuelitos and tíos pictures on the table.
“¡Noche mágica, día de los muertos, aquí voy!”

My friends and I draw and cut bones. We put them together and make calacas.
We dress them with fancy hats, colorful skirts, and elegant suits.
“La Catrina and Señor Calavera!” we say, dancing with the skeletons.
“¡Noche mágica, día de los muertos, aquí voy!”

“The sugar skulls are here!” Papá says.
“Bravo!” we all cheer.
We decorate the skulls with beads, feathers and colored foils. We write our names on the skull’s foreheads.
“¡Noche mágica, día de los muertos, aquí voy!”


“It is time to bake pan de muerto,” Mamá says.
“We are ready to help,” I say as my friends and I roll up our sleeves.
We mix water, yeast and flour in a bowl. Then, we add eggs, milk, butter and sugar. We roll the dough to make bones.
“¡Noche mágica, día de los muertos, aquí voy!”

We carry the delicious dishes to the altar: abuelito’s favorite mole, abuelita’s yummy carne asada, and tíos’ special hot chocolate.
We lick our lips.
“¡Noche mágica, día de los muertos, aquí voy!”

Mamá and Papá tell us stories about my abuelitos and tíos. We dance to their favorite music, cha cha cha. The windows open and cool air touches my cheek. The breeze hugs and kisses me just like my abuelitos and tíos used to do.
“¡Noche mágica, día de los muertos, aquí voy!”

We eat the yummy food. Then we go outside and listen to the mariachi music, visit the cemetery, and have a great time.
Yeah! Once a year, I have a double delight.
A magic night and una noche mágica.
Next year, you are invited too!

2 comments:

Daniel A. Olivas said...

Great story! Mil gracias.

Lisa Alvarado said...

Rene -- great story, and I love how much info is shared in such a reader-friendly way!