Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Highlights-Updated Wish List
Highlights editors compile a list of their current needs to share with prospective authors. Below, you will find a detailed description of the types of stories, articles, and activities Highlights editors are currently seeking. You may also find these updates at http://www.highlights.com/
Thank you for your interest in Highlights. Happy writing!
The Highlights Editors
HIGHLIGHTS FOR CHILDREN
Nonfiction for Younger Readers (Ages 4 to 8) up to 500 words, Joëlle Dujardin, Associate Editor
All articles should have a clear focus and relevance to young kids.
* First-person accounts of fieldwork
* Photo essays
* Arts stories
* Ancient history
* High-interest animals
* Details from urban life (workers, transportation, etc.)
Science, 800 words (two-page features), 400 words (one-page features), 50 words (activities) Andy Boyles, Science Editor
* Features about kids involved in science
* Scientists studying high-interest animals in their natural habitats
* Short, quick, easy, fun science activities
History/World Cultures, up to 800 words, Carolyn Yoder, Senior Editor
* Fun, humorous, kid-friendly articles
* Presidential (NOT Washington and Lincoln) and patriotic pieces
* Need anecdotal articles, rather than broad interviews
* American holidays, specifically Thanksgiving, Easter, Christmas, and little-known holidays
* World-cultures pieces. ALL COUNTRIES. We want intimate snapshots of life in another country.
One-page Activities of all kinds, up to 300 words, Linda Rose, Assistant Editor
* Indoor and outdoor games that involve exercise, creativity, and/or humor
* Activities and games that kids can do whether they're on their own or with others
* Projects that will result in a new hobby or skill and/or a quality finished product
* Magic tricks
We prefer activities that require neither parental supervision nor materials kids aren't likely to have handy.
Short Puzzles, Games, Recipes, and Activities, Manuscript Submissions
* Art activities
* World-cultures activities
* History and geography puzzles
* Logic puzzles
* Math puzzles
Any activities that easily lend themselves to strong visuals are a huge plus!
Crafts, Manuscript Submissions
* World-cultures crafts (general or holiday-specific)
* Crafts that encourage play (musical instruments, costumes, etc.)
* Crafts for all holidays except Valentine's Day
Please send a photo or sample of the craft.
Send magazine submissions to
Highlights for Children
803 Church Street
Honesdale, PA 18431
Puzzlemania, our puzzle book club for children ages 6—10, is in need of word puzzles—crosswords, word searches, logic puzzles, word scrambles, and codes. For detailed submissions guidelines, visit www.Highlights.com. Go to About Us/Contributor Guidelines/Puzzles. Send puzzle submissions to email@example.com.