Wednesday, September 03, 2014

El Piñatero/The Piñata Maker


Review by Ariadna Sánchez

Ejutla de Crespo is a small town located in the southern state of Oaxaca, Mexico. Many years ago Don Ricardo, or Tío Rico as people usually called him, was the man responsible for creating astonishing piñatas. Tío Rico’s creativity is the inspiration for El Piñatero/The Piñata Maker by award-winning author and photographer George Ancona.

Tío Rico created artistic white swans, silky herons, cheerful dolls, and delicious orange carrots just to mention some.  His piñatas made birthday celebrations special all over Ejutla de Crespo. My father and my mother told me wonderful stories about Tío Rico’s work. For example, they told me that Tío Rico’s piñatas were the most popular items in the community all year round. My grandparents bought piñatas from Tío Rico for my parents, uncles and aunts for their parties. If you ask me where magic and fun meets, I have to respond by saying, “inside Tío Rico’s piñatas.” Ancona’s lovely pictures capture Tío Rico’s patience during the step-by-step elaboration of his one-of-a kind art pieces. El Piñatero / The Piñata Maker is a bilingual book that offers an additional guide to create your own piñata at home. Each page of El Piñatero/ The Piñata Maker is an open invitation to discover the beauty of Ejutla de Crespo, Oaxaca.

Visit your local library for more interesting stories. Reading gives you wings!

Additional information for El Piñatero/ The Piñata Maker:

Meet Mr. Ancona:


No comments: