Saturday, October 24, 2009

Enforced school-year hiatus already begun

In the coming months, Saturday readers will hopefully be treated to more piquant and regular postings than usual, since the onerous burden of being an elementary school teacher in the Denver school system is more than this viejo can manage, while at the same time meeting obligations as Saturday's bloguista.

Of course, all teachers, particularly those of the U.S., are overburdened. In my state, education also has the distinction of being some of the most under-funded and under-equipped nationally. It's doubtful things are going to get better, as noted in an article from the Denver superintendent's "State of the Schools" address (9/09):

"Enrollment . . . is now the biggest it's been in 35 years with more than 75,000 students. Still, Boasberg says the district may look at cutting up to $30 million through the next school year because of the sagging economy."

Pero, ya basta with the self-indulgence. But by way of explanation, I don't go on my school-year hiatuses(i?) simply because I have no time; none of us do. What I find difficult to counterbalance is the exhaustion from district requirements (11 hrs. a day, 6 days a week) on one side, and the literary and creative stamina to simultaneously post to La Bloga, on the other. I want to give La Bloga my best but find myself giving only what's left over.

Anyway, you'll occasionally be treated(?) to posts from me, but in the meantime I'll be trying to recruit guest posts from those who have more stamina, or at least, youthful zeal.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Five semi-parting thoughts:

Dads, be around more as a role model for your son. Otherwise, he'll only have videos, video games or video-playing friends to build a hero from.

If you want him/her/it to succeed, take the video game away from your kid. Now. Or never buy him one.

Raise your kid to drink white milk; choco and strawberry varieties have two or three times the sugar and salt. They'll drink leche blanca if you teach them it's better for them. Honest.

Treat your kids to pecans, walnuts, almonds, trail mix, dried dates and other fruit. They can actually learn to love it. If you gotta do cookies, try ginger snaps and graham crackers, when they're on sale.

If you pass a teacher on the street, lift his chin up, straighten his shoulders, then remind him that if he's a good teacher, that's all he needs to be; getting a life can wait till retirement.
_________________________________

Anyone interested in guest blogging for Saturday, or even doing more of a contribution, E-mail me at rDOTchDOTgarciaATcyboxDOTcom

RudyChG

6 comments:

poetryguy said...

Milk is for baby cows. Teach your kids not to drink milk at all.

Anonymous said...

No disagreement with you in general, poetryguy, it's just that with low-income kids, putting something in their stomachs is obligatory, even if it's not optimally nutritious.

In the realm of liquids, milk beats choco, strawberry milk, gatorade or sweetened juice concoctions, at least, to my knowledge.

RudyChG

Anonymous said...

Rudy G. My heart goes out to
you. I admire you for sticking
it out in public schools. I did
high school for ten years and
there were days when it was Hell!
My experience is that some wimpy
administrators cater to parents and
athletes. There are times when
teachers get no support. My
admiration is based on the
knowledge that I know how tough
and rough it can get. Te admiro,
Rudy. Please stay healthy --- and
stick it out. I once quit the
classroom to be a nursing home
administrator (fifteen years).
Went from orphans to widows.
I remember one Aztec Princess
who said: "tanto trabajo para
mercar este rinconcito ajeno".
La Bloga is my daily tortilla.
I go there every day to keep up!
Y confieso que admiro mucho a
Luis Urrea. Luis has an article
on Juarez/El Paso in November
issue of Playboy. Well done,
Luis! Luis also has a story in
"Phoenix Noir". And Luis
remembers his Tijuana Dompe
Days. He still looks after
the kids at Tijuana Dump.
Una sugerencia. Luis has
written a poem: "Valley of the
Palms". I would love to see it
published at La Bloga. Vale
la pena. De veras! And it's
not long. If you wish --- I'll
ask him to send it to you for
possible publication in La Bloga.
It's an uplifting poem about a
child who lives at the Dump.
It's a love poem. Very well
done. One of Luis' best. And he
*is* a very good poet.
I applaud your efforts as a
teacher, Rudy.
I still remember a Texas
student (in San Marcos) who
was embarrassed to speak Engish.
She always said "my English isn't
good enough". The nuns at a school in Seguin had convinced
her that she was incapable of
learning "correct" English.
One summer she went to Jalisco
to improve her Spanish language
skills and the "profesor" there
almost convinced her (that
because she was Mexican-American,
she would never speak "correct"
Spanish. That young lady
persisted (just as you have)
and became a teacher. She
guided a lot of young ones
during her many years of service.
I'm sorry that it's as bad
as it is! Your contribution is
a Big Asset to our Colorado
kids.
Thank you also for all
that you have done at La Bloga.
Te lo agradezco.
Con todo respeto, Juan Sanchez

p.s. I would like to close with
a quote from one of my favorite
poets (Jose Marti):

"Con los pobres de la tierra
Quiero yo mi suerte echar.
El arroyo de la sierra
Me complace mas que el mar."

Anonymous said...

You put out a lot of good words there, Juan.

Okay, you've got me hooked; ask Luis if he wants to send me the poema.

You too should consider contributing.

Mil gracias,
RudyChG

BG said...

This was good to read. I have a friend who is teaching his first year, 1st grade - 22 students. He moved to a new city, Houston, to take the job and I see it's rough for him... any words of advice I could share?

Anonymous said...

I have a million advices, Wallawallawhale, just not much time to give them.
1. Tell friend not to give up drinking yet. Or to take it up. Just not during the week.
2. Don't let negative people get you down. Remember you're better than that & can develop immunities.
3. Do give up on lists of great teaching ideas that they'll never let you do or have time for and concentrate on systems of organization, especially for all the mierda.
Ya stufa,

RudyChG