Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Goooooooooooal, Get a Free Copy of Pelé King of Soccer


Hola, how is everyone doing with the World Cup Fever? Now the tension is on to discover which teams will make it to the semifinals. But we need to wait until Friday.

Monica Brown wrote a beautiful book about Pelé the king of Soccer. This is the bilingual description of the book:

 Do you know how a poor boy from Brazil who loved fútbol more than anything else became the biggest soccer star the world has ever known? Turn the pages of this book to read the true life story of Pelé, King of Soccer, the first man in the history of the sport to score a thousand goals and become a living legend. Rudy Gutiérrez's dynamic illustrations make award-winning author Monica Brown's story of this remarkable sports hero truly come alive!

¿Sabes cómo un niño brasileño pobre que amaba el fútbol más que nada en el mundo se convirtió en la estrella más importante del deporte? Lee este relato y entérate de la historia de Pelé, El rey del fútbol; el primer hombre en la historia del deporte capaz de marcar mil goles y convertirse en una leyenda viva. Las dinámicas ilustraciones de Rudy Gutiérrez destacan vívidamente los momentos recreados por la escritora premiada Mónica Brown en este extraordinario libro.

Last year La Bloga had the honor to interview Monica Brown. This is just the first question. To read the complete interview click here. 

Congratulations on your new book Pele King of Soccer, Monica you are truly the queen of Latino children’s book biographies. How did you get the idea for this great book?

How fun to be queen of something! More seriously, I am surrounded by people that inspire me, from the children I meet to the folks in publishing who fight to get these stories told. As a Peruvian-American, I grew up with an appreciation for Pelé's physical genius and an understanding of what he represented for the children of South America. The idea to write about him grew out of conversations with my husband (who has coached each of our girl's soccer teams) and my agents, Stefanie Von Borstel and Lilly Ghahremani. I've was also inspired by my brother Danny, who has played soccer semi-professionally and who now plays for the CAL Men's Club team. Since I have a soccer-crazy family, this was a natural project for me.

***
In celebration of the 2010 World Cup,  author Monica Brown created this book trailer about Pelé, the legend at the heart of Brazilian Soccer.  She's also donated a signed copy of the book to the readers of La Bloga.



Leave a comment about your favorite fútbol's team and why you would like this book. La Bloga will choose and announce the name of the lucky reader next Wednesday.

Saludos y mucha suerte.

4 comments:

Leticia Teresa Pontoni said...

I like Monica Brown. I made a translation of her interview with René Colato Laínez for his blog: www.losbloguitos.com I would love to read her book because I am from Argentina, typical rivals in soccer, my country and Brazil. I want to know more about that star..PELÉ.

Leticia Teresa Pontoni.

Pat Minjarez said...

Love Monicas work! She visited our school and my kids love soccer so what better way to start the year but with Pele and a goaaaal. Keep writing Monica.

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful book. I can use it in my classroom.

Marta Hess

MisCositas said...

Go go go gooooooooool! Soccer is an excellent way to get kids excited about learning Spanish, and especially the World Cup! You can do colors (through the flags), geography, shapes, prepositions, etc. Que viva el futbol!