Wednesday, December 14, 2011

My Latest News

René Colato Laínez

I found this videobiography on youtube. Thank you Georgie Doherty for creating this video.





The information was taken from my critical thesis "Living To Tell the Story: The Authentic Latino Immigrant Experience in Picture Books"


I wrote this critical thesis during my MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults at Vermont College. It was a recipient of the Jane Resh Thomas Award.


You can read the complete thesis here in La Bloga
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
*
In November, I had the opportunity to visit my country El Salvador, for The 2nd Children's Poetry Festival. It was celebrated from  Nov. 16-18, 2011 at the National Library in San Salvador. I created this little tribute for this amazing festival.




Entrevistas/ Interviews
Bloguera Lydia Gil interviewed me for EFE. This article had appeared in many websites and newspapers.


Por LYDIA GIL
Denver, 23 nov (EFE).- René Colato Laínez se destaca entre los escritores de libros infantiles por abordar temas difíciles con sutileza, humor y esperanza par sus jóvenes lectores como en su nuevo libro, "Del norte al sur", sobre la deportación.

Pero no es la primera vez que el también maestro salvadoreño radicado en California se enfoca en el tema de la inmigración indocumentada a EE.UU. desde la perspectiva de un niño.

Read more at http://ar.noticias.yahoo.com


Corina Martinez Chaudhry interviewed me for thelatinoauthor.com
 

This week, TheLatinoAuthor.com is featuring the critically acclaimed children’s author René Colato Laínez. Mr. Colato Laínez was born in Salvador and thus far has successfully accomplished his dream of becoming a teacher and writer. He earned his bachelor’s degree from California State University at Northridge and did his MFA program in writing at Vermont College. 

Read more at http://www.thelatinoauthor.com

*
I am happy to present the cover of this great anthology. I collaborated with my essay SURVIVING. I wrote about my experience growing up in El Salvador during the civil war.



 That Mad Game
Growing Up in a Warzone
An anthology of essays from around the globe edited by J.L. Powers
Cinco Puntos Press, May 2012

Coming-of-age during a time of war: fighting, dying, surviving. First-person accounts from around the world.

Seventeen writers contribute essays about children enduring the insanity of war. Essays focus on conflicts of recent history but take no sides. Vietnam (North and South). Bosnia. The Gulf War. Rwanda. Juárez. El Salvador. The list goes on and on.

*
I have two new picture books under contract with Santillana USA and Holiday House. I will reveal more details in 2012.

Saludos,

René Colato Laínez 

3 comments:

msedano said...

a fabulous report on some fantastic developments. 'growing up in a war zone' is such a chilling subject, i'm interested to read how the writers explore it.

Melinda Palacio said...

Wonderful news René.

Amelia ML Montes said...

Felicidades, René!