Monday, March 04, 2019

Interview of Shaq Tom by Xánath Caraza


Interview of Shaq Tom by Xánath Caraza


Shaq Tom, Ph.D. graduated from the University of Kansas in higher education in December of 2015.  He was born and grew up in Turkey. He received his BA in Foreign Languages Teaching from Black Sea Technical University in Turkey, MA in educational studies from the University of Cincinnati. He received his Ph.D. in higher education from KU with high honor. He holds a peace education certificate and is working on another master’s degree in cross-cultural communication studies. He is currently involved in the work of the Movement of Global Warming of Hearts.  He is interested in establishing dialogue with anyone of different cultures and ethnicities and organizes a variety of events to promote peace and dialogue. His ultimate goal is to contribute to the global warming of hearts to depolarize the world. Four years ago, he was awarded the most outstanding international student, which is only given to one graduate student a year by the University of Kansas in 2014. His first book is Global Warming of Hearts!


How do you define yourself as a poet?

Great question. I think as a poet, I try to “help people believe that “every individual in this world can all contribute to the Global Warming of Hearts.” I am sometimes inspired by animals around me, sometimes by watching how two people are interacting and sometimes simply reading Twitter news around the world. I am a person of unconditional love and embrace diversity in the world. I see everyone in this world as unique and try to express that in my poems. Also, my other main message in my poems: “You may be going through challenges in your life but let’s promise to the humanity that we will never lose our hope in this life and inculcate the feeling into people around us”


As a child, who first introduced you to reading?  

I think my elementary school teacher and my sister were the first ones who guided me through my first readings.  We had required readings during elementary school years and doing reading during the class time.


How did you first become a poet?

I have honestly never thought that I would ever call myself “Poet” but now here I am and have about 35 poems. I started writing in Turkish in Istanbul and Giresun, Turkey. I started publishing here in the U.S two years ago. One of my poems was accepted by a Magazine. Then, I first published my first book Global Warming of Hearts last November.

It has been definitely a great feeling to publish a book. It makes you feel more confident and connected to other people in the community. I received a few phone calls, e-mails and text messages by my audience who told me: “Everyone should read this book. Reading the book changed their life” Someone said that she was having a bad day and after started reading this book, she had more hope in her life.” Hearing these words made me really peaceful.

What projects are you working on at the moment?

I have been working on a book of short stories and also hoping to write a book on “Democratic Dietary Style versus Dictatorial Style” – about a peaceful way of losing weight!


What advice do you have for other poets?

Writing is freedom! Anytime anywhere have your pen and paper ready to write. You never know what will inspire you. Writing is a time of joy, it is a time of contemplation. It is the very time you feel you have freedom. Keep writing!



What else would you like to share?
I may want to share my joy and excitement of my first publication Global Warming of Hearts. It is my first book and hope to write more!
I hope one day I will accomplish my mission in this life: “A world where Global Warming of Hearts is real”
Thanks for your time!


No comments: