Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Life In These United States: Poetry Is Our Medicine

 




June 24,2022
Planet Earth
The United States of Fucking Ignorance
by Iris De Anda

This morning they came for my rights
Took them under cover of midnight & black robes
Proclaiming a law over my bones
Ignoring my body once again
Beat the breath from my skin
Judging my choice for sin
Ripping justice from within
Puppet politicians policing with tricks
This matrix is fixed
Making me sick
Making me woke
Cause the system lost control
They want to patrol our womb
Creation is the Goddess choice
If I want to give life or live my true voice
There is no wrong way to love
Radical self awareness
Radical self care
Radical bliss
Our ancestors gave us gifts
Gave us allies
Gave us movements
This morning they came for my rights
And I won’t let them in
We won’t let them win
My body, my blood, my choice
My body, my blood, my choice
My body, my blood, my choice



Iris De Anda a Guanaca Tapatia poet, speaker & musician who has been featured with KPFK & KPFA Pacifica Radio, organized with Academy of American Poets, performed at Los Angeles Latino Book Festival, Feria del Libro Tijuana, Casa de las Americas in Havana, Cuba and is named one of Today's Revolutionary Women of Color. Author of Codeswitch: Fires from Mi Corazon & Roots of Redemption: You have No Right to Remain Silent.


No comments: