Thursday, December 27, 2007

Some thoughts at the end of the year


As 2008 rolls around, I wanted to share that I feel incredibly blessed. This week's post is just my attempt to give at least partial thanks for what I've been given.

One
, to have joined the ranks of La Bloga and be able to share my brickbats and bouquets alongside Daniel, Michael, Manuel, René
, Rudy and Gina has been a honor. You've all been kind to a fault, supportive, funny, (especially YOU, Rudy!) and insightful.

To make a small contribution to our discourse about literatura, cultura y
más required me to dig deep in the best possible way. La Bloga has given me the chance to interview writers like Martín Espada, Demetria Martínez, Luis Rodríguez , Margo Tamez, Tara Betts, Rich Villar, conversations that make me want to be a better writer.

Two
, with sands shifting in my personal life this year, I've been given an object lesson as to the real nature of friendship. For all the shoulders I've cried upon, ears I've bent, dinners I've been treated to, late night phone calls accepted, opinions shared, and unconditional love....my love and my gratitude to: Jay and June, Rose, Toniann, Deirdra, Ramone.


Three, for my hermana, my cohort, my heart, my partner in crime, Ann Hagman Cardinal. To be able to have you in my life as family is one of the rare times the words fail me. But what I do have words for is the incredible joy I feel in being part of your writer's journey.

Four
, for the gift of finding Jewish roots, my ancestry in full, hidden treasure now in the light.


Five, for proof that magic is still possible, even when you least expect it.


Other notes:

Gente, indulge me with posting the photo above. (Sometimes a girl's just gotta....)

I've completed a poetry manuscript, Raw Silk Suture, and I'm lighting the candles that there will be more good news about that in 2008!

There's also been a redesign of my website: http://lisaalvarado.net
The incredibly lovely design is courtesy of Jay Fox -- http://frogdoggraphix.com
and Lin, http://photographybylin.com

10 comments:

Daniel A. Olivas said...

We are lucky to have you in the familia, Lisa. Happy new year and here's to a 2008 filled with literature and love.

Anonymous said...

Like Dan said, the "lucky" is us.
You've added dimensions, not only geography, to La Bloga--artistic, poetic, thespian, strange, haunting, insightful--as unique as your foto.
Gracias por tus palabras y 'mientos,
RudyG

msedano said...

I have to get out my Xavier Cugat songbook! "oh, the lady in red..." Lisa, thank you for the warm end of year start of year wishes. 2008 will be another great year for you and all of us because we shall make it so.

mvs

Anonymous said...

Lisa, Lisa, Lisa!
You already know that I love those pictures and the red dress, girl. I am so lucky too to have your insights and friendship. Get ready for a blazing new year.

Rene Colato Lainez said...

Great post Lisa,

Happy 2008 to everyone.

saludos,

René

Francisco Aragón said...

Hi Lisa:
Thank YOU for your generosity and time in helping make PALABRA PURA in Chicago, on more than one front, a fun and meaningful project to be a part of. The Guild Complex looks forward to your continued collaboration in 2008. Thank you for your work on the local curation committee.

Sheryl said...

Congrats on good friends and a good year!

Manuel Ramos said...

Excellent way to end the year. Thank you for all you do and all you bring to La Bloga.

Rich Villar said...

Lisa la bella...

My best wishes and love to you in the New Year. Keep fighting that good fight.

Peaces,
Rich.

Anonymous said...

Kisses to you, sister of my heart. Lean on me anytime!

In love, light, and blessings,

Rose