Thursday, May 01, 2008

From the Tips of my Fingers to the Tips of My Toes


This is about my hands and feet. Actually it's about work and its remnants, about being working-class, Chicana, about going where you don't belong, or where you think you don't belong, or no matter where you go there is always some part of you on the outside, watching, seeing what gets played out, wondering how you fit in, what you need to do. This has been the story of my life, even in childhood. Is it a requisite for me becoming a writer? I think in a way it is.


I no longer have a job. That in and of itself puts me in line with millions of people in this country who aren't experiencing a slow-down, they're experiencing a screeching halt. Karmically, was it time to go? Yes, but you can't eat new opportunities for growth, and there's not really much in the storehouse.
This has been both a blessing and one of those opportunities I just mentioned.

Since finishing graduate school I'd been trying to get work as an editor or as a teacher. (The decision to seek something more meaningful, I also realize, is not one that millions of people even have a chance to consider.) What I had to acknowledge was that the search while at one level was intense, it wasn't intense enough. Better put, there was a piece of me that held on, even though I was unhappy.

Circumstances came together a couple of weeks ago to relieve me of my complacency. What does this have to do with hands and feet?
What no longer having my job has meant is that I had to stop hiding, that I had to step up and step out, that I had to make myself more visible, and I had to face that the part of me that wanted to stay back, stay hidden. Part of what's been required in this job search is to start attending networking events, that in my mind 'people from the other side' populate. What I mean here, is that in my mind, these are the 'happy shiny people' with homes (which I don't have) and cars, (which I don't have), and retirement funds. (Again, I think you already know what I'm going to write here.) Never mind that those folks have mortgages and debt lines and feel sorrow and loss and joy, too.

But back to the hands and feet issue. What I've been experiencing is a sense of shame. Shame that the tips of my fingers and the soles of my feet are calloused from a life where I worked on assembly lines, cleaned other people's houses, cared for sick patients. Dressed to the nines, smile and firm handshake in place, passing out those smart business cards, part of me feels I will be found out before the canapes are done circulating.

And it never escapes me that I am served by Mexicanos y Mexicanas, like me, and not like me and that somehow I am also standing, watching and knowing that I am supposed to write this and not forget.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


FROM JUAN FELIPE HERRERA:


Gente, JFH continues to rock the house with his national tour of his tour de force, 187 Reasons Why Mexican Can't Cross The Border. Take a look here at pics from his odyssey.


GREAT EVENTS IN AZTLAN DEL NORTE (CHICAGO)



SER'S ANNUAL BENEFIT -- MANY SERVICES FOR CHICAGO FAMILIAS


ART AND ARTMAKING IN THE HANDS OF YOUNG PEOPLE, WHAT A CONCEPT!



A LA VIDA RAISES MONEY TO FIGHT LEUKEMIA



PLUS, TEATRO EN CHICAGO!!!!!!!!






AND FINALLY, A PERSONAL DELIGHT:

Last Saturday, I was lucky enough to have lunch with a fantastic writer that I interviewed a while ago, Ulises Silva, who brought his companion and fellow writer, Angela. They were funny, warm and engaging, and we discussed the state of Latino literature, what is and isn't canon, indy presses and his upcoming release: Inventing Vazquez. They were in town to do location research for the novel and I was the beneficiary.
For those of you unfamiliar with his work, let me direct you here.

Lisa Alvarado

4 comments:

msedano said...

jfh's link worked for me after I edited it to read:
http://gallery.mac.com/juanfherrera#100159

best wishes on the search for a fulfilling jale, one that keeps you happy and head above water!

mvs

Lisa Alvarado said...

Thanks M, for EVERYTHING!

Sustenance Scout said...

Lisa, your essay is stunning. I'll link to it soon. Wow.

Karen in Denver

Sustenance Scout said...

Actually, I just did. My blog: www.sustenancescout.blogspot.com.

Best wishes always! K.