by Ernest Hogan
Look out, aspiring writers and seekers of knowledge, I will be committing a series of deliberate acts of unregistered education again at the Fall 2026 session of the Palabras del Pueblo Writing Workshop, on the Saturdays and Sundays of October 3-4 and 10-11, on Zoom, so you can do it in your pajamas or underwear, though I plan on wearing a nice shirt.
This time I’m calling it New, Improved, Ancient Chicano Sci-Fi Wisdom.
So, why make the Ancient Chicano Sci-Fi Wisdom new and improved?
Well, it’s because it’s got ancient roots, it’s working on the future and constantly mutating.
I was going to say “evolving,” but that’s a slow process, and what’s happening with all things Chicano lately is sudden and unexpected. ¡SAS! Like a loose gamma ray zapping a DNA sequence causing something . . . weird.
You’ve probably noticed that these aren’t great times for Chicanos. Not only are Hollywood and New York avoiding putting out creative works on the diverse global market and making us rich and improving the overall quality of life and culture for the human race, but we are under attack.
There. I said it. I shouldn’t have to go into details-just plug into a random news source . . .
Meanwhile, we still have these incredible imaginations because of the complex, constantly changing cultural mix that we . . . are. I’ve been doing it most of my life. Chicano is a sci-fi state of being. Xicanxfuturism refuses to die. Ciberbandidos arise . . .
My bizarre experiences have taught me, and I need to help those who dare to write while part of the Latinoid continuum. I’m one of the more successful Chicano writers of my generation. I don’t have any secret formula for writing success, but I have a career beyond the expectations of most of the people I know. I learned a few things along the way.
I also try to keep it entertaining.
My warped brain will also be available for picking while I create a new story over the two weekends and share my unconventional creative processes.
Yeah, I meant it to be plural.
And I’m not giving up on creating new worlds.
From the markets of Teotihuacán to the farthest edges of the Intergalactic Barrio.
Some find it inspiring.
So sign up now!
Ernest Hogan is trudging through this infernal summer, besides the abovementioned class, Xicanxfuturism: Gritos for Tomorrow / Codex II finally has an official publication date–December 15, 2026!--so get ready for another Paco Cohen, Mariachi of Mars adventure, as well as some interesting things brewing in the University of New Mexico. Stay tuned ciberbandidxes! (Pronounce that ciberbandidEQUISES.)
No comments:
Post a Comment