Sunday, February 13, 2011

Dressed in Dynamite/Vestidos de Dinamita: A Sunday Morning Meditation



Excerpt from: From Eve's Rib
by Gioconda Belli
http://www.giocondabelli.com/
http://www.giocondabelli.org/about/
English translation by Steven F. White
Curstone Press, Second Edition, 1989





Dressed in Dynamite
I have to go buy the makeup I use to disguise myself each day so that no one finds out my eyes are tiny -- like a mouse's or an elephant's. I've wanted to leave for an hour, but the warmth of my room keeps me from going. So does the solitude that, at least for now, I'm enjoying. And the books spread out on my bed are like men I've made love with in an orgy of legs and arms that awaken my passion for life, biting my nipples, my sex, and filling me with a special semen made from letters fecundating me, and I don't want to go outside with such a serious face when I'd rather be laughing out loud for no other reason except this feeling of being word-pregnant, struggling against a consumer society that entices me with its store windows filled with unattainable things, things I reject with all my feminine hormones when I remember the spent and sad faces of my people who woke up today the way they always wake up and will continue waking up until we dress ourselves in dynamite and invade government centers, ministries, headquarters. . .with a match in our hands.


Vestidos de dinamita
Me tengo que ir a comprar la pinturas con las que me disfrazo todos los días para que nadie adivine que tengo los ojos chiquitos -- como un ratón o de elefante --. Estoy yéndome desde hace una hora pero me retiene el calor de mi cuarto y la soledad que, por esta vez, me está gustado y los libros que tengo desparramados en mi cama como hombres con los que me voy acostando, en una orgía de piernas y de brazos que me levantan el desgano de vivir y me arañan los pezones, el sexo, y me llenan de un semen especial hecho de letras que me fecudndan y no quiero salir a la calle con la cara seria cuando quisiera reír a carcajadas sin ningún motivo en especial más que este sentirme preñada de palabras, en lucha contra la sociedad de consumo que me llama con sus escaparates llenos de cosas inalcanzables y a las que rechazo con todas mi hormonas femeninas cuando recuerdo las caras gastadas y tristes de las gentes en mi pueblo que deben haber amanecido hoy como amanecen siempre y como seguirán amanediendo hasta que no nos vistamos de dinamita y nos vayamos a invader palacios de bobierno, ministerios, cuarteles. . . con un fosforito en la mano.