Thursday, February 24, 2011

on Daniel Olivas's latest book

Some nice news: the March issue of Los Angeles Magazine offers a nice review of Daniel Olivas's forthcoming novel (out March 24) The Book of Want:

“The first novel from L.A. writer (and California deputy attorney general) Daniel A. Olivas focuses on Belén, the deceased, cigarette-puffing matriarch of a Latino family who continues to meddle in her daughters’ affairs through their dreams. Olivas, who also edited the anthology Latinos in Lotusland, grew up in Koreatown and Pico-Union, and sets much of the fanciful story near his old haunts. His brand of magical realism has a sense of humor about itself, and he succeeds in harnessing the genre’s unique ability to expose what’s beneath the surface.” — Wendy Witherspoon, Los Angeles Magazine

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The first thing that caught my eye was the book cover. I have that copy of "Tormenta," by Gronk.Doesn't it tell a story all by itself?
The book blurb and reviewer comments have piqued my interest. Hope there are more positive reviews when the book is released and I look forward to reading the story. Mona latinapen.blogspot.com

Daniel A. Olivas said...

Mil gracias, Mona. I've gotten to know Gronk over the recent years and so I was delighted when I asked him if we could use one of his Tormenta paintings for the cover. This particular painting is called "Enter Tormenta" and is now owned by the Carnegie Art Museum in Oxnard which granted U of A Press permission to use it for the cover. I hope you enjoy the book!

Unknown said...

You know I was there at the Carnegie when Tormenta was unveiled at the artist reception. On an art walk last year I was able to visit his studio in LA and bought another Tormenta. I asked him if I could use it for a book cover, for a novel I've written, and he granted me permission too. He's a humble and very kind artist.

Desiree said...

Congratulations!!!

Daniel A. Olivas said...

Thank you!