Wednesday, April 12, 2023

DO I BELONG HERE? / ¿ES ESTE MI LUGAR?

Written by René Colato Laínez

Illustrations by Fabricio Vanden Broeck


ISBN:  978-1-55885-968-5

Publication Date:  May 31, 2023

Format:  Hardcover

Pages:  32

Imprint: Piñata Books

Ages: 6-9


I am excited to present my new children's bilingual book Do I Belong?/ ¿Es este mi lugar?

This book is based on my personal experience during the first days of school in the United States. 


I was so confused with the new language. In Spanish, I felt smart but in English I felt that I did not belong here. I asked myself many times, do I belong here? 

I had many dreams to accomplish and I wondered if I would be able to accomplish my  dreams in this new country. 


I want to tell all children, especially recent immigrant children that yes, they belong here. It must be dark and confusing now but there is always new light at the end of the tunnel. 

The experiences of newcomer students in schools are portrayed in this winning, bilingual picture book. 

Award-winning children’s book author René Colato Laínez teams up again with illustrator Fabricio Vanden Broeck to explore the experiences of newcomers in schools and affirm that yes! They do belong. With beautiful acrylic-on-wood illustrations depicting children at school, this bilingual kids’ book by a Salvadoran immigrant tells an important story that will resonate with all kids who want nothing more than to belong.  


No comments: