Saturday, May 15, 2010

Explanation & newsbits

I'm "under the weather," so apologies for only providing some newsbits for you today. That weather is the kind that will land me either in the unemployment line or a different elementary school, come Aug. I'll miss Barnum Elem. where I taught for three years, the kids, staff, but I'll just have to find another spot, parece. Below's some more enervating bits:

Ernest Hogan still alive
: Last Saturday's post highlighting some of La Bloga's cultural appropriation posts elicited one surprising comment. It seems SciFi writer Ernest Hogan, whom I'd presumed deceased, was in fact still breathing and composing.

In response to mentioning his Cortez on Jupiter novel, Hogan commented:
"I consider myself a Chicano. I don't know if having an Irish name on my Arizona driver's license will cause me any trouble. The 21st century is like one of novels."

His blog profile reads: "Ernest Hogan is a recombocultural Chicano mutant, known for committing outrageous acts of science fiction, cartooning, and other questionable pursuits. He can’t help but be controversial. Everything he does offends or causes psychic harm. Rumor has it he’s doing it on purpose. Some people think he’s funny. Read on at your own risk . . . His novels are CORTEZ ON JUPITER, HIGH AZTECH, and SMOKING MIRROR BLUES."
I threatened to interview him for La Bloga when he gets back from wandering the wastes and montañas of Utah & NM, but in the meantime you can check out his blog here.

Chicano vampire comic coming out: Mario Acevedo launches his new comic book, Killing the Cobra (#1 of 5 issues) featuring his book hero, Felix Gomez, vampire P.I. The event will take place at Goosetown Tavern, 3242 E. Colfax Avenue, Denver and the comic will sell for $4, cheap. 7:00 p.m. Tuesday, May 18.

Su Teatro's Despedida: Join Su Teatro today, Saturday May 15th, for a free showing of La Carpa de los Rasquachis and community potluck celebration, to be performed on the front lawn of the Elyria School Building. This will be Su Teatro's final performance at Elyria after twenty years of performances.

Grills start at 6:00pm at 4725 High Street, Denver. Show at 7:00pm. And here you can read Su Teatro's thank-you letter to the neighborhood that has been its home for 21 years.

Victor Villasenor, author of Rain of Gold, will be featured on a nationally syndicated TV show this Sunday, May 16th. Here is the link to see time and channel in your area. Rain's not one of my favorites, but if you have a different view or want to acquire one, check out the show.

Es todo, hoy,
RudyG


No comments: