Friday, August 19, 2022

A Quick Recovery from Covid-19

 Melinda Palacio





Thanks to the fact that I was vaccinated and double boosted, the Covid virus manifested itself like a big bad cold. I never had fever, which makes me question all the places that take your temperature to make sure you are Covid free, such as my dental office. At the first confirmation with a double line on the test strip, I called my doctor, who prescribed Paxlovid, a drug made by Pfizer, of the one and done vaccine fame. I figured since I already accepted the vaccine, I should take the drug. Three horse pills twice a day for five days and it worked for me and my sister who also tested positive for the virus on the same day. When she called to cancel our Viva La Fiesta plans in Santa Barbara, I was sad but not sick. The next day we both took tests and even though we were a hundred miles apart, both managed to get sick. Rest is the best medicine and my faithful companion, Pandora the Pandemic Pup, was more than happy to share my quarantined sick bed. The next best things are old fashioned medicine your mom might have given you when you were a child and had a cold. Chicken soup, something about chicken fat and broth is good medicine. I didn't have chicken, but I had plenty of carrots and chicken broth. I made myself a soup with carrots, lots of fresh ginger, and garlic. I'm lucky I still have oranges and lemon and mint in my backyard. Drinking tea with ginger and mint fresh citrus and honey was very helpful for my cough. 








My throat lozenges came with inspirational messages to keep me calm. Hot liquid also helped when I would get the massive cough that would wake me up at night. I learned to keep a warm cup of tea handy. Good ol' vapo rub also helped. I rubbed petroleum jelly on my chest and throat to help me sleep. When I discovered I had a eucalyptus aromatherapy roller, I used it instead of the Vicks. I also used a yoga hack to keep the phlegm from gurgling up and interrupting my sleep. I remembered how to use a bolster under your shoulder blades to open your heart. The technique of using pillows to lift my chest, made for a very restful sleep. Drinking lots of water with ginger, fresh mint and citrus is something I plan to continue, as well as the regiment of taking vitamin C, D, and Zinc. Basil, Oregano, Peppermint are wonderful anti-viral plant medicine. I added them to my soup and water and tea. At day four, I was sure I was over the Vid, but I still tested positive. I finished the last day of pills and two days later finally tested negative. My diet was soup and salad and lots of fruit for snacks. I think making sure I filled my body with liquids and fruits and vegetables helped. Fresh air, sunshine, light exercise and sleep made a big difference. As much as I wish the virus had never entered my body, there is no shame in getting Covid; even Doctor Fauci got it. I hope no one else get the virus, but if it strikes you, stay calm, treat yourself to plenty of home remedies and plant medicine and get plenty of rest. The horse pills or Paxlovid helps too. 

After a few days in bed even my trusty dog was bored. Quarantine and illness is not fun. We took walks, early in the morning when the neighborhood was still asleep. After I was feeling better, but still in quarantine, I took Pandora for a drive. She loves a drive almost as much as a walk. She goes everywhere with me and it's so nice to have a quarantine companion. 



A bored Pandora






A happy dog.


A happy me, Covid free. 


No comments: